Viewconference 2016: my personal reportage
As probably some of you already know, last october 2016 has ended the 17th edition of Viewconference - the event on computer graphics, animation, the most important effects in Italy and probably one of the most prestigious in Europe.
This year was held the 17th edition, always in the name of openness to creative young people and schools (hundreds has been students who participated to this event).
The leitmotif of this edition, as well as always to the visual effects and animation in general, is certainly virtual reality, and many are the talk where he's talked at length.
I attended for three days, and below and in next articles you could find my annotations about speeches I heard. As features to some of thoese articles, you will find some short videos from the Conference with some of the material that was shown during the event.
Here's the list of speeches:
- “Finding Hank”, John Halstead (Pixar)
- Creating Gaurav: Redchillies’ VFX for the movie Fan (Redchillies)
- Deconstructing the opening scene of Deadpool (Ryan Tudhope, VFX Supervisor and co-founder - Amotic Fiction)
- Forma.8 and Redout: the Indie reborn (Mauro Fanelli - Mixed Bag)
- Comic and immersive storytelling in virtual reality (Mitchell Broner Squire, Co-Founder & Business Manager, Fabio Corrirossi head developer - Oniride)
- Keeping it real Making videogames by hand - the Making of Luminocity (Daniel Fountain, developer and puzzle designer - State Of Play Games)
- The emotions of Game Development (Daryl Anselmo, Art e Creative Director - Zynga)
- Crafting a photoreal jungle for Disney’s The Jungle Book (“The Jungle Book”, Audrey Ferrara, Environment Supervisor - MPC)
- Neuroscience and videogames, a New Class Medicine (Adam Gazzaley, co-founder, chief science advisor, Akili - Matthew Omernick, co.founder, chief creative officer, Akili)
- Making “The Room” & the lost business of Art (Barry Meade, co-founder of Fireproof Games)
- 10 years at Laika (Steve Emerson - Laika Studios)
- The making of Patrick Osborne’s Pearl Designing for story in new media (Karen Dufilho-Rosen, executive producer - Google Spotlight Stories)
- Story and origin of computer graphics (Prof. Donald Greenberg, researcher - Cornell University)
- The future of videogames, panel with many experts
- The Art and Science behind creating a photorealistic Jungle Book (Rob Legato, VFX Supervisor - MPC)
- Immersive Cinema stories from the experiments underway at Lucasfilm’s ILMxLAB (Rob Bredow, Chief Technology Officier - Lucasfilm)
- The Marvel Method: a look inside Marvel Studios (Victoria Alonso, executive producer - Marvel Studios)
- Directing a Career, (Conrad Vernon co-director of Sausage Party)
- The Visual Effects of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Roger Guyett, Visual Effects Supervisor - Industrial Light & Magic)
To learn and do shopping: